Just a place for fun vids and comics and articles I find bouncing around the series of tubes that are the internets.

Quote for...until I update it.

"Mildred, what have I told you about standing on the table? That's right, nothing. Because it seems like something that would never need saying under any circumstances." - BadMachinery (www.scarygoround.com/index.php)

Friday, August 8

The Internet and Obama is a Muslim

I can’t believe how much dumber the internet has made people. I guess not dumber, maybe it just plays to people’s gullibility. I have seen usually smart people claim absolutely backwards things because they did “research” on the internet. When I ask for the “research,” all I get are websites that are... of... dubious origin. It’s never the Harvard Research Department or the national archives. Saying that you found it on fox.com does not make it true. The latest, and most annoying, argument that I had was about whether or not Obama is a Muslim. They had research they did on-line, but they didn’t site archives or registration or show me anything at all. It was just a yes-no argument.

I don’t even see why it matters if he is a Muslim or not or was a Muslim even matters. The problem with something like this is that people could be raised one way or be something at one time and change in the meantime. People jump to say that Bush is a Christian, but he is a “Born-again” Christian. This means at one point he wasn’t or was not a good one. The fear of Muslims is ridiculous when there are so many different types of Muslims on the planet and each local has different beliefs and traditions, the same is true of all different religions including Christians. I was raised, at least in the later part of my childhood Christian, but am an agnostic secularist now. It doesn’t matter. None of that matters. So Obama was/is a Muslim, John McCain doesn’t believe in women’s rights or Separation of Powers, or the Geneva Convention! Wake-up!

I think the problem with the internet is the age difference in users. When I was in school they were teaching us about what kinds of cites we can believe and how to properly research on the internet. Fact checking on-line is very different from in a book. The people I was arguing with are in their late forties and not trained in computers, much less internet fact finding. I could go right now and set up a website claiming that John McCain fathered babies in Vietnam and his Vietnamese grandchildren are trying to gain citizenship. When people start listing it on other websites, anyone could then pick it up as fact. I just don’t like my research to be discounted when I go to legitimate sites and review years of articles and speeches and votes and don’t rely on the Google top ten list for my information. The thing I guess that really bugged me about the encounter is that I was not to be believed and the research I did was to be discounted because I am young, naive, and brainwashed by Obama’s superstar power. The fact, that computers were widely used outside of scientific and government institutes before I got out of elementary school, should count for something when it comes to internet use and research.

Rant Complete.

No comments:

The Blogger:

TN
female mechanical engineering and philosophy double-major at a small, Catholic university... no I'm not Catholic. I never beat the pope at arm wrestling...